Dear Montview Families,
Here we are in week four of the school year! Hard to believe we are already a month into our work together. We continue to see great success from our students both in their engagement and their commitment to academics. We also are monitoring how our students are feeling about their connections to our community and to other adults and students. We are happy to report that over 85% of our students agree or strongly agree that they have a strong relationship with another student in our school community. Additionally, 77% of students agree or strongly agree that there is an adult in our school community who they trust they can go to for support - a 7% increase since the first week of the school year! Of course our goal is for 100% of our students to have these connections and we are constantly working on strategies that support individual students and our larger community.
We are always looking to improve and are always looking at the information we have to be better for you all and our students. There are a few ways you can support us as well.
- Support students who have inconsistent attendance, not just first thing in the morning, but with every class throughout the day.
- Work with students to encourage them to have cameras on and to speak into microphones when appropriate during class. We can respond so much better to their learning when we see and hear them.
- Ask your students how their connections are with other students, other teachers, and their advisors. If you feel there are concerns about their connections, please reach out to your advisor.
- Attend our Town Hall tomorrow to hear updates from our Leadership Team and to ask any questions you have about our school year to date.
Thank you for helping us to have a strong start to our school year! Let’s continue to work toward creating the best Knight community we can even during such extraordinary times.
John Clark, School Director
MAP Testing Updates
We have decided to not have MAPs testing during the Fall. As such, we will not have MAPs during the week of the 21st. While we are moving toward new assessments, MAPs was a bridge to help us in that transition. We also recognize that in a virtual space our iReady assessment needs more time. We are still planning on administering MAPs in the winter.
PMM Testing Updates
If your student receives Multi-Language Learner services, they will be engaging in our Beginning of the Year Progress Monitoring assessment to help us better understand their current development and so that we may better support them in their English language development throughout the school year. The assessment was given on September 9 and will also be given on September 16 and September 23. Please make sure your student is present and that they have a quiet work space available.
Shortened Schedules Sept. 17th
As a reminder, we will be shortening our school day on Thursday, September 17th. Our day will still begin at 8:15am in Advisory but will end at 12:45pm and classes will be shortened. This time will be used by our staff to work on family communications from Flyer. Thank you for your understanding as we believe this additional time will be valuable for our team to better support you!
School Culture update
- Morning Meeting: We launched this week with a morning meeting celebration of Hispanic Heritage month. Take a look: Monday MM – Latino Heritage Month
- Virtual Town Hall: We invite all of MTV MS families to attend our upcoming Virtual Town Hall on Wednesday, September 16 at 5:30pm. Log-in details were sent by email on Friday, 9/11 will also be sent today at 3:00pm.
Reminders and Upcoming dates
- Monday, September 25: No E-School for students; Professional Development Day. Students will not need to be logged on this day for classes.
- If you have not, please complete a Free/Reduced Lunch Application. All families, regardless of need, are encouraged to complete the form. Click HERE to complete.
- You can pay your school fees online by clicking HERE.
- If you have not submitted your student’s most recent immunization records, please send them to email@example.com. We will be sending a separate email from the Nurse this week to those families who have not.
The Family Association of Montview
"My name is Mandy Lindsay and I am the chair of the Family Association of Montview, better known as the FAM. We are parents and family members of MTV students who are committed to building a tight-knit school community -- in the past, through in-person student and parent social events, fundraising for school programs, and organizing meetings for parents to have their voices heard. Our tactics may be different this year because of COVID, but the mission remains, and we are going to do the best we can to keep everyone connected while we are apart."
This week, there are 4 info sessions with Spanish-language support. Please join us for ONE of these 30-minute info sessions to learn more and get involved. Choose the day/time that works best for you and RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to get the Zoom link. I look forward to "seeing" all of you soon!
Tue 9/15 @ 7:00pm
Thu 9/17 @ 1:00pm
Sat 9/19 @ 11:00am
Sun 9/20 @ 3:00pm