The lottery selection is only the first step in the admissions process. There are the additional steps that your family must complete in order to have your student set up for success at DSST in the upcoming school year. Students and parents must attend orientation, your student attends summer school (below), and fall registration is required.
Next Steps to Become Officially Enrolled at DSST
PLEASE NOTE: Orientation is only for families who have been officially accepted to DSST: Byers for the 2017-18 School Year.
1. Participate in a family orientation. At least one parent/legal guardian and the student must attend. Your Orientation date has been communicated to your from the school in a letter mailed to the address that we have on file from Parent Portal. Families must text their student specific RSVP codes to 720-441-2587 before their Orientation date. Please contact the front desk immediately if you have a scheduling conflict. Families who do not come in for the orientation, and/or fail to reschedule prior to the orientation date, risk missing key milestones in the enrollment process for their child.
Orientation will be at DSST: Byers High School, located at 150 S. Pearl St., using the south entrance on Cedar St. At Orientation, you will receive more detailed information about our program. There will also be an opportunity to ask additional questions about the upcoming school year regarding dress code, electives, extra-curricular activities, course selection, the advisor, and more.
Required documents to bring to orientation:
- Legal guardian documentation (if the legal guardian is not a biological/adopted parent listed on the birth certificate)
- A copy of IEP/504 information (if applies)
- A copy of medical information for significant health needs (if applies)
2. Attend DSST’s summer school. Details about summer school will be provided during your orientation. New students are highly encouraged to attend summer school during the below dates:
New-to-DSST 6th and 7th Graders: June 26 to July 7, each weekday, 8:00-11:45am (no school July 4th)
New-to-DSST 8th Graders: July 5-7th, 8:00-11:45am
3. Complete additional forms for DPS Registration using Parent Portal this August to verify enrollment for the 2017-18 school year. You will receive more information outlining the required steps as mandated by Denver Public Schools, aswell as additional information regarding the 2017-18 school year.
We look forward to getting to know you and your family! Should you have questions about Orientation, please contact the school at 303-524-6350 or email Ms. Crespo at email@example.com.
Who must attend: Welcome to the 2017-18 school year at DSST: Byers Middle School! As a reminder, attendance during Summer School is mandatory for all new incoming students. We are excited to have your child begin their path to college at DSST: Byers. Summer School is one of the most important program requirements that we have to facilitate our students’ transition to our middle school. Program success in middle school is a critical first step to ensure that 100% of students will be accepted into a 4-year college or university.
Dates: Monday, June 26th – July 7th (No School on July 4th).***
Times: 8:00 am to 11:45am
Location: DSST: Byers Middle School, 150 S. Pearl Street, Denver, CO 80209
Dress Code: Students must be in full DSST: Byers uniform during Summer School
***PLEASE NOTE: Dates for summer school have changed based on network decisions. Summer school will now be only 2 weeks as opposed to the previously posted 3 week session.